[thelist] a pixel is a pixel.....right?

Shirley Kaiser, SKDesigns skaiser1 at skdesigns.com
Wed Aug 22 18:48:05 CDT 2001

Matthew,

Seeing the stats on Wilson's reader feedback for these fonts and the sizes
is absolutely fascinating to me. I'm so glad you sent this in. Thank you!
I'll definitely refer to it often. Good one to also show clients about
their site visitors, too.

Interestingly, too, and VERY generally speaking:
Many I've spoken to about serif vs. sans serif who've been in the print
world for any length of time prefer and recommend serif fonts for reading
body copy, and understandably, as research also bears out that it's easier
to read for PRINT. Wilson also figured people reading his newsletter would
prefer serif. His survey points just the opposite, though, with people
preferring sans serif for reading the html email.

My own opinion is that we can't assume that what works well in print for
fonts works the same for on-screen reading. (Then again, "assumptions" can
be dangerous anyway.) I've gobbled up whatever credible research or
surveys, formal or informal, as possible to learn what really and truly
seems to be best for reading on the web. If you're interested in seeing
more, I've collected some of what I've found here (Cross-Browser,
Cross-Platform Font Issues): http://www.websitetips.com/css/index.shtml

Wilson's conclusions:

My Conclusions
My readers clearly prefer sans serif fonts to serif fonts for body text.
Therefore, in my HTML e-mail newsletters -- and on my websites -- I am
moving toward 12 pt. Arial for body text, and Verdana for 10 pt. and 9 p.
fonts. I haven't done adequate studies comparing Georgia against Verdana
for readability, but since Georgia isn't as widely installed as Verdana, I
plan to stick with Verdana. For headlines I'll continue to use larger bold
Verdana fonts.
<<

Interesting to me also is the results with various font sizes and
readability since one font is preferred for larger while another one is
preferred at a smaller size.

Geez, Wilson always has such great stuff, and he loves doing these surveys
on a wide range of things. They can indeed be helpful, even if they aren't
necessarily "scientific." I'd missed this one on fonts.

Thanks again.

Warmly,
Shirley
--