[thelist] detecting opera

Craig Saila crsaila at yahoo.ca
Thu Aug 23 10:40:58 CDT 2001

Peter-Paul Koch wrote:
> IE4+, instead check if the browser supports any advanced DOM
> (document.layers, document.all or document.getElementById). Much safer
> in the long run.

I actually got burned by this recently. I used a some fairly high-end
DOM stuff that was enabled after a a check for
"document.getElementById". Unfortunately, Opera supports that, but
hardly anything else usable in the DOM:
<http://www.opera.com/docs/specs/#javascript>

I've got around it by detecting Opera on the server-side, as I'm wary of
checking for various DOM items (document.getElementById,
document.createElement, document.styleSheets, document.getAttribute, etc.).

Cheers,

Craig Saila