[thelist] Searches and Usability

GregHolmes at aol.com GregHolmes at aol.com
Fri Aug 24 05:43:56 CDT 2001

Susan Wallace <susanhw at webcastle.com> wrote:

>From what I understand, the "taboo" camp sees it as harmful
>in the instance that the visitor does not know what they are
>looking for and they try various combinations of words that they
>think would help them find something, often resulting in frustration.

A method I use to improve the usability of searching on my Intranet sites is
to have a wrapper script look for common searches that don't return useful
results, then provide a useful "tip".  You can often identify these things
from the search logs, if not from user testing.

For example, people search for specific IT work orders, which are in a
separate database application (and thus will not be found).  If the wrapper
script sees a search for "WO", "work order", or a large integer, they get a
box at the top of the results page:

"Tip:  to find a specific work order, try the <.a>Work Order Search<./a> page"

By calling it a "tip", I'm covered if it isn't especially relevant (I can't
read their minds).

Got a small library of "tips", that judging from the search logs, either
satisfy people or make them give up immediately ;)

"Tip: 'Facilities' is now 'Corporate Support Services'"

"Tip: looking for PPMA?  Try a <.a>search for PPM<./a> instead!"

Just a thought, if you do decide to include a search.

Greg Holmes
gregholmes at aol.com