[thelist] download speed

Erik Mattheis gozz at gozz.com
Fri Aug 24 09:29:44 CDT 2001

A quick question:
I'm using host headers on IIS 5 for a server with about 25 virtual
sites on it, each of which are configured at www.*.com and *.com. I
just discovered that downloads from the default website are going
about 2x as fast as the ones with host headers. Is this normal? Would
the other sites be faster if I assigned IP addresses to them?

A longer question, same subject:

I'm in Minneapolis, the server is in Washington state.

A tracert to the server from me takes 19 hops, most of them being
through bbnplanet.net (Genuity?).

A tracert from the server to me takes 11 hops through ALTER.NET.

I have an aDSL connection here ... the server has a gigabit ethernet
connection to a multiple OC-12 network - the download speeds from the
server to me are about 10-15K/s.

When I log on to the machine in Washington and download a file from
my box here is Minneapolis (same aDSL connection) (not using host
headers) it goes over twice as fast - and it seems to me that if
anything it should be the other way around.

Anybody have an idea of why my download speeds are so slow?

- Erik Mattheis

A snowflake never lands in the wrong place.

(612) 827 3963

[ As of 9/1: (612) 377 7727 ]