[thelist] help! client bought Photoshop!!

Joshua Olson joshua at alphashop.net
Fri Aug 24 17:24:01 CDT 2001

And, Ron, you are correct.

<.tip my hat>

Taken out of context, my statement would seem, well, out of bounds.  So, you
are correct in calling me on that statement.  It was qualified with
"generally" and in context of web *design* and graphics, so my
observation/opinion may not be unjustified, however.

The point was made because it would be catastrophic in general to let users
arbitrarily mess with design elements on a site.  However, as was said
numerous times in many different ways, allowing a user to upload elements in
a tightly controlled environment, generated through training or technical
constraints, can work to everyone's benefit.

By training, I am referring to the creation of PS actions like Shirley
suggested.  By technical constraints I mean the server checking the uploaded
image size and rejecting it if it does not fit within certain parameters and
only placing acceptable images into controlled areas within the design.
Somewhere in the midst of employing both techniques, it is possible to let
the user contribute there own imagery (thus saving you time) without
compromising the design integrity of the site.

Thank you for the vivid example of how a user can have a different angle and
interpretation on what's happening.  Often times a lot of insight can be
gained by just listening to them, which is the point of the survey you
issued in your example!  Just a great example of how sometimes "children do
say the darnedest things."  j/k

-joshua