[thelist] Please Check my Site

Norman Beresford n.beresford at anansi.co.uk
Sun Aug 26 12:43:25 CDT 2001

Hi Syliva

You've already had feedback on design issues with your site, so I thought
I'd tackle a couple of your other questions.

The easiest way to deal with making rapid changes across large sites is to
use server side include files.  Look at the templates you've built in
dreamweaver.  Take all of the content that you've got in non-editable
regions and copy it out.  Paste the code from each of those non-editable
regions into seperate files.  Save them and replace the original code in the
DW template with a Server Side Include pointing at the file you saved the
relevant text into (DW will help you insert these).  Save the template file
and update all of the product pages attached to that template - it's the
last time you'll have to do this!  Upload them (along with the include
files).  Now when ever you want to make a change that will effect all of the
pages attached to that template you simply change the single include file
and upload that.  The change will then roll out across every page using that
include file.

With the problems with font sizes, I'm afraid there's only one acceptable
solution and that's a rec-ode of all of your pages.  You have to ensure that
navigation tables allow for larger font sizes within each cell, whilst
maintaining the correct layout.  Depending on your relationship with the
original designer I'd suggest going back to them and asking them to do this
for you.  How much you'll have to pay/whether you'll have to pay will depend
on them and the original contract/design spec.

Anyway I hope that helps

Norman