[thelist] Please Check my Site

Martin martin at members.evolt.org
Sun Aug 26 14:04:51 CDT 2001

Norman Beresford wrote on 26/8/01 6:40 pm

>You're also missing alt attributes from every
>image, which is something to watch out for as it means that you fail to
>reach even the basic level of WAI compliance, which in turn means you may
>possibly be leaving yourself open to a law suit.

Same goes for the Flash demo (I watched it waiting for a demo to
start, and after the intro, got a 'replay' button... where's the demo?)
and the scrolling doodad.

How are you providing equivalents for disabled users without client
side scripting?

In the global navigation, what are the pseudo-information graphics
(ie the radar screen etc) there for? They say 'functional' to me,
yet don't appear to have a purpose.

Why not have the secondary nav as real text with CSS hover rollovers?
It'll reduce the amount of JS you'll need to write and test, be more
accessible,
more consistent and a faster download (which, on what appears to be a
slow host, may be useful...)

Did you have a hard time with the animated GIFs in the bottom left,
getting
them compressed to a suitable download speed and still have them look
semi-
sensible? For 48k images, they still look pretty poor. Why not use JPEGs
which'll retain the quality, and swap them with JS? As they don't
actually add
much value, having them not swapping for non-JS browsers is probably no
great issue.

Hope this helps

Cheers
Martin

email: martin at easyweb.co.uk             PGP ID: 0xA835CCCB
       martin at members.evolt.org      snailmail: 30 Shandon Place
  tel: +44 (0)774 063 9985                      Edinburgh,
  url: http://www.easyweb.co.uk                 Scotland