[thelist] ActionScript: Finding out a clip's name

Nick Boyce nick at triplezero.com.au
Mon Aug 27 03:38:36 CDT 2001

With the help I have had from some people on thelist, I have a movie that
uses duplicatemovieclip to create lots of movie clips that are draggable.
Please note that this is artwork-less at this stage, it is just there for
the code.

http://www.anarchitect.net/new/anarchitect_test_3.swf

In order to do things like bring it to the front when dragging and set the
URL link for each one, each movie clip must be aware of it's name.

So I assume that I would set a variable called url_15 then on the clip
called clip15 I would grab the number off of the name and add url_ on the
front to get the right variable. Is that right? Or can I set variables that
are specific to layers? For example, can I set the "url" variable in
"clip15" to something and it won't get confused with all of the other layers
which have a variable called "url"?

It will make more sense if you take a look at the example.

Thanks in advance.

Nick

triple zero digital  |  upstairs at 200 the parade, norwood 5067
(08) 8332 0545 | www.triplezero.com.au | nick at triplezero.com.au