[thelist] Design/Usability Question

martin.p.burns at uk.pwcglobal.com martin.p.burns at uk.pwcglobal.com
Mon Aug 27 14:03:16 CDT 2001

Memo from Martin P Burns of PricewaterhouseCoopers

-------------------- Start of message text --------------------

Hey Frank,

Which matters more - whether it's nicer, or whether it's easier to use?

If (as I suspect) it's the latter, why not do some testing of user
performance
of tasks using each of the three interfaces, with the following KPIs:

1) Which resulted in fewer errors?
2) Which enabled the task performance in minimum time?

These are the two biggies for RoI of interfaces, but also important are

3) Which annoyed the users least? (tiny annoyances become enormous ones
   when multiplied over n uses a day)
4) Which did the users understand quickest? (minimises training effort
required)

Before you subject each to user testing, also have a look over each with
some objective usability heuristics - they'll save you from a few obvious
errors which the project team are too subjectively involved to spot.

Cheers
Martin

Please respond to thelist at lists.evolt.org

Sent by:  thelist-admin at lists.evolt.org