[thelist] CSS or table?

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 27 21:53:17 CDT 2001

> From: liam <william at manuel.as>
>
> been seeing more table-less layouts lately using CSS. is it a lot more
> practical to use css instead of tables nowadays? what are the pros and
> cons of using each?

ultimately your audience should determine that for you... if you
have a lot of users on browsers that can't handle the CSS layout
(and you need to determine what a lot is), then it's probably not a
good idea...

given the lack of consistent support out there for CSS-only layouts
by most of my clients' users, and the fact that most of my clients
want all users to have the same experience, regardless of
browser/connection/month, it isn't seeing much implementation
over here...

you can read some alternate opinions and threads at the ALA site,
or over at the evolt site...

To Hell With Bad Browsers
http://www.alistapart.com/stories/tohell/

To Hell With Bad Editors