[thelist] IE6

the head lemur headlemur at clearskymail.com
Tue Aug 28 11:04:01 CDT 2001

Yet another browser with New Features!!

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/evaluation/features/default.asp#section5

Yes they implement the dreaded CSS Box Model correctly.
They do not ship a Java Virtual Machine.
Doom on Java Applet creators and sites that use them.
http://www.microsoft.com/java/
They say it is installed on demand. 5 megs on a modem is nobodys idea of a
good time. Microsoft Java.

They do not support Netscape style plugins.
Although there is a workaround for the quicktime plugin.
http://www.apple.com/quicktime/products/tutorials/activex.html
hattip: Zeldman
They want you to use ActiveX controls, and we know how much fun those are.

<snip>
Fault Collection
 Enables users to extract information about an Internet Explorer problem and
upload the data to Microsoft for analysis. This information can help
identify potential issues Microsoft needs to address in future Internet
Explorer Service Packs.
</snip>
Really this is not a beta!!

Internet Explorer 6 does not support installation on computers that are
running Microsoft Windows 95. This may not be an issue to the folks here,
but trust me it is an issue to a lot of companies, non-profits, and places
where computing and computers are not replaced every two years.

And it will probably wipe out the earlier versions as usual.

I'm not sure that the price we paid for the Box Model was such a good Idea.

the head lemur
Web Standards
http://www.webstandards.org
Evolt