[thelist] IE6 (missing Java)

Daniel J. Cody djc at starkmedia.com
Tue Aug 28 11:43:45 CDT 2001

Thats really only half the story Ryan.. Yes Sun did sue MS, and yes they
won. the reason they didn't ship Java with XP isn't because they feared
another lawsuit though.. the conditions of the first lawsuit stipulated
a $20mil payoff from MS to Sun along with MS asking Sun to be able to
use Java for the next 5-7 years(can't remember exact figures offhand)
*without* the 'Java' logo though.

if MS's reason for not shipping with XP is that they feared a lawsuit,
how could they have continued shipping a JVM with IE for the past 2
years? whether you like to say it or not, this is classic MS.

what do you say to people checking out a site like bmwfilms.com - which
uses applets - when they ask why they can't see certain parts of the
site anymore? is it fair to *them* to make grandma download and install
a ~5Mb JVM? is it fair to consumers? not really on both counts, which is
why all this "We're doing whats best for consumers" spin is BS. :)

.djc.