[thelist] quote from Webmonkey site re: copyrighted images

Rory.Plaire at wahchang.com Rory.Plaire at wahchang.com
Tue Aug 28 17:01:53 CDT 2001

| In most cases - there are exceptions:
|
| US Code 17 - Copyrights - Chapter 1 Sec 107:
|
| "...the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by
| reproduction
| in copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified by
| that section,
| for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting,
| teaching (including
| multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research,
| is not an
| infringement of copyright."

Well,

I had to research this a while ago for a project I was helping... I think I
even wrote a tip about it when I was a newbie on evolt.

Oh! here:
http://lists.evolt.org/index.cfm/a/harvest/b/show/c/Week-of-Mon-20010514.htm

Really, it is a short summary of the Section of the US Copyright Code on
Fair Use. I was given a lot of help from this site:

http://www.brynmawr.edu/Acads/Langs/llc/copyright.htm

I would agree, this is handled with some truculence in many cases, claiming
"Fair Use" in circumstances which are not covered. I have to really ask
myself in a number of cases, "Hey," I say, "self. Is this _really_ fair?" So
I delete the software and sigh. But it is a settling, acquiescing sigh, one
that breaths of the justice and true fairness, where opportunity and rights,
freedom and sacrifice are the wings of the bird of humanity, giving it
flight through balance and reciprocity.

<indirectly related>
Hey, did anyone notice how hard it is to search the tips? I couldn't find
this knowledge easily and ended up clicking through one link at a time...
</indirectly related>

<rory disposition="late for a meeting!" alt="8o"/>