[thelist] dhtml on mac/ie5

Joe Crawford jcrawford at avencom.com
Tue Aug 28 18:00:36 CDT 2001

Jeff Howden wrote:
> listlings,
>
> thought i'd throw this out to those that've done more mac-centric dhtml than
> i have.
>
> i'm working on the frontdoor to a site that'll be released later this week
> and i've run up against an odd issue with it when viewed in mac/ie5.  there
> is a green-striped bar across the middle of the design that has dhtml sub
> menus below each one that popup when you mouse over the image.  on the mac
> the alignment is *way* off.
>
> in order to view the site you'll have to edit your hosts file.  you'll need
> the following entry if you're on a pc:
>
> beta.mtbachelor.com 208.205.175.252
>
> or, the following if you're on a mac:
>
> beta.mtbachelor.com A 208.205.175.252
>
> anybody got any ideas about the wackiness in mac/ie5?

IE5 is much more strict about how it handles code - particularly if a
DOCTYPE is provided. Do things work better/different without a DOCTYPE?

I've had good luck doing 1 of these:
   -- make sure the code is crystal clear and validated
or -- remove the DOCTYPE.

The latter is what I did on the last site I worked on. i gritted my
teeth and did it. For the next rev though, I have some better code in
place, and I think the doctype will be back.

You may get better feedback if you remove the crazy condition that you
have to edit a hosts file. That's wild.

	- Joe <http://artlung.com/>
--
...................  Joe Crawford \\ Web Design & Development
.....  mailto:jcrawford at avencom.com \\ http://www.avencom.com