[thelist] IE6

Peter-Paul Koch gassinaumasis at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 29 05:00:03 CDT 2001

>>Yet another browser with New Features!!
>>
>>Yes they implement the dreaded CSS Box Model correctly.
>
>They finally got CSS1 right! It's nice to see Microsoft
>play by the rules (at least in this area).

Small fry. The real question is: does it support position: fixed? If it
doesn't all CSS1 stuff is worthless, because position: fixed is the only way
to truly new implementations (for instance,  a frame-like page with a fixed
navigation, combining the advantages of frames and noframes).

As to the box model, I still support the original MS implementation: it's
much more intuitive than W3C's recommendation. Of course this doesn't help a
bit, we'll have to steer between the various browsers.

>Now let's all use the <!DOCTYPE..> in our pages to trigger
>W3C-compliancy.

I'm afraid it won't be so simple. IE6 and NN6 have their own, separate
implementation of DOCTYPEs and their own bugs. I'm afraid we're forced to do

if (ns)
  document.write('<!DOCTYPE etc>');
else if (ie)
  document.write('<!DOCTYPE etc>');

Mark my words, doctypes are going to cause a godawful lot of cross-browser
trouble.

ppk