[thelist] Spec Work...?

Mark Groen mg at markgroen.com
Wed Aug 29 09:15:47 CDT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Eric Langlitz" <feed at chicken3.com>
Sent: August 29, 2001 12:59 AM
Subject: [thelist] Spec Work...?

>> The worst part of this whole miserable e-mail, is that this happens
> everyday, and designers engage in this activity every day.  I don't
know
> about you, but I don't like to spend my time doing free work.  If this
were
> my prospect client, the first words out of my mouth would be "I have
the
> number of a developer that I think would be great for you, let me pull
it
> from my file here and......."
>
> Any thoughts/comments/experiences?
<snip="from aardvark's post">then do a threesome of mock-ups -- for
pay... perhaps a reduced
cost if you want to cut the client a break.......i remember a client who
made it clear he didn't want tabbed
navigation... within two weeks he made me put in tabbed
navigation... we've all got stories like this, so be prepared for it to
happen...</snip>
LOL! I had one that spent a year deciding - a WYSIWYG like Dreamweaver
works great for the mock ups. Use layers instead of tables for the mock
ups so you can move stuff around easily, then when they "get it" do your
hand code thing with tables and CSS. AFAIK Dreamweaver's ftp will allow
you to almost make changes on the fly so they can see the results almost
immediately. Also, clients such as this need to receive *lots* of
invoices, daily, or at least weekly ones and keep em' current - no
30/60/90.