[thelist] IE6

Peter-Paul Koch gassinaumasis at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 29 10:42:34 CDT 2001

>     The answer to your question is, "no" -- unfortunately, IE 6 does not
>support position: fixed. While I don't agree that CSS 1 compliance is
>worthless without it, I do agree that position: fixed would be immensely
>valuable in developing complex CSS-based designs.

Well, maybe you're right, full support for CSS1 isn't unimportant, it's just
that MS is making such a terribly big deal of it, as if it's still a year
ago and CSS1 is the highest goal. Meanwhile it has shrunk to moderately
important, something any browser should support anyway (not that they do).

> > Mark my words, doctypes are going to cause a godawful lot of
>cross-browser
> > trouble.
>
>     You may well be right about this, especially where doctype-triggered
>"standards-compliant" modes render in non-traditional ways, such as
>line-height within Mozilla's table cells. And trying to get the
>standards-compliant IE 6 box model to render even approximately like the IE
>4 - IE 5.5 box model is its own form of entertainment.

Tried once with Tantik Celiks' Box Model Hack, it didn't work (but then, the
pages were pretty complicated). For the moment I simply ignore it, I make
the boxes perfect in IE5Win and OKish in the other browsers.

Later on this won't be enough, of course. But we'll have to solve that when
it comes up.

ppk