[thelist] SQL DTS Transfer

rudy r937 at interlog.com
Wed Aug 29 14:11:42 CDT 2001

hi ben

>... I love the SQL language, but this kind of stuff drives me nuts.

+1

the "kind of stuff" you are referring to is a particular vendor's
implementation (or not) of particular dba (database administration)
utilities

be thankful your particular vendor even has dba utilities that you can
choose tu use -- imagine if the only utility available was the bulk copy,
and the only way to get stuff into another server was to create
delimited flat files...  how would you handle identity fields then, hmmm?

>  Thanks, Dex.  You the man on this kind of stuff.

+1

he definitely has his shit together ('scuse me, but that's a standard
technical term in the database industry)

regarding your tip, ben --

> If you know anything about T-SQL, you probably know of
> INNER JOIN and OUTER JOIN.  But don't forget about their
> rarely-used cousin CROSS JOIN which will select every
> matching combination between two tables.

great tip, nice example, too

but just in case of any misunderstanding, please let me add that inner,
outer, and cross joins are not just t-sql (i.e. microsoft transact-sql)

inner, outer, and cross joins (as well as unions, exceptions, and so on)
are standard sql, and consequently they are supported by every database
that supports the sql standard...

... although not always with the same syntax   ;o)

you thought browsers not supporting w3c standards was a nightmare? try
porting your queries from one database to another

as the saying goes, "the nice thing about standards is,
there's so many to choose from"

rudy