[thelist] MySQL Licensing

noah noah at tookish.net
Wed Aug 29 14:53:17 CDT 2001

I have a client who is a little concerned about the MySQL license. I'm
developing a commercial application for them, using PHP and MySQL (the
application basically brings together people looking for jobs with jobs
looking for people). I've had a look at the licensing section of the MySQL
Manual (http://www.mysql.com/doc/L/i/Licensing_examples.html), and as far
as I can tell there is no problem. The client, however, has someone telling
them that they will have to buy a MySQL license to do this, and that they
should use PostgreSQL instead.

Can anyone reassure me that MySQL is indeed free for such an application?

Thanks very much,
Noah