[thelist] Professional Philosopy

Brad Miller brad at beldamar.com
Thu Aug 30 01:13:58 CDT 2001

-> We've got some awfully high class people on this list, ranging from
-> novices to utterly advanced pros. I sure would like to know about your
-> own, personal work philosophy. Why do you do what you do? What's
-> important about that? What are the values that you reach for?

-Personally, my job is the means to the end. I enjoy it to a certain
-degree, but I get up in the mornings simply because my job affords me
-other possibilities - the main one being evolt :)

Interesting indeed!

I gave up what I love doing when I graduated from school. I realized that
Virtual Reality wasn't really an option in the job market at the time (or
even now really). While in school I learned CAD and all sorts of graphics
programs and a ton of programming languages. But when I graduated I realized
that the only thing I could really get a job doing was CAD stuff.

After about 5 years of trying out every possible position in the computer
industry I realized that I really enjoy doing just about everything that
deals with computers. However I kept getting tired of doing the same thing
everyday. I finally realized that working for myself was about the only way
for me to get the variety I needed.

I am now able to do a little CAD work, some graphics, some programming, and
I still get to play with hardware from time to time.
What more could I ask for. OK more money but who isn't asking for that?

-> measure whether you've fulfilled them or not? Who are mentors or peers
-> for whom you have a great respect, and why?

I don't know if I have fulfilled everything yet. I'm still broke. I think
everyone's goal in life is to be successful financially.

Mentors = I would have to say that my only mentor was a teacher I had in
college. He was a goofy guy that used to jump up and down on the desks
during class because he would get so excited about certain subjects. (Yes he
really jumped up and down on the desks) The guy always made his point and
really got us all interested in everything that was going on in the IT
world. And he was one hell of a C++ programmer.

Anyone else care to share?

Thanks,
Brad Miller
702-438-7660