[thelist] Professional Philosopy

Frank framar at interlog.com
Thu Aug 30 03:21:40 CDT 2001

>  Why do you do what you do? What's important about that?
>  What are the values that you reach for? How do you
>  measure whether you've fulfilled them or not? Who are
>  mentors or peers for whom you have a great respect, and
>  why?

Guess it's my turn.

I'm one of the 'my work feeds my soul' crowd. I'm first and foremost
a creator. If I weren't building apps, I'd be building Animatronic
toys in Hollywood. I do what I do because at the end of it I get so
say (with childlike enthusiasm) "*I* made this!". What keeps me going
is that each app or site has to be better than the last, and with
each success, I revel.

I've had two important mentors, and one influential peer group in my
professional career. The first is Dave Winer. Dave does his thing,
and he does it with love. He asks a million questions, energetically
gets into everything, occasionally falls and makes a fool of himself,
then picks himself up two inches taller. He's a very bright,
rational, responsible and human man. I get that! Though his own work,
Dave taught me how to structure my thought, ways of approaching
problems, and that when things get though, to get diggin'! He's
taught me that 'work' can be it's own brand of joy.

My second mentor that I admire is the group know as BareBones. These
people taught me what professionalism is about. BBEdit is one of the
finest apps that I've ever had the pleasure to merge with. Any
communication that I've ever had, whether one on one or as part of a
list has been nothing but exemplary in crispness. Their
communications are a marvel of conciseness and alacrity. When ever I
turn on my 'pro mode' in dealing with clients, I try to emulate the
BB team's manner of communicating.

My most respected peers are found here on the list. I won't name
names, but you can either guess at who you are, or might be
surprised. What I appreciate about this group is the ability to
remain (mostly <g>) bullet crisp in purpose, helpful and precise in
the information we all share. There's also a deep sense of respect.
We keep each other in line in very gentle ways. I've never seen
anyone trash a newbie or someone asking what some may percieve as a
dull witted question. I think the last mild flame we had was what? A
year or more ago?

There are a number of member's posts that I read religiously here,
even if the topic doesn't interest me, because I know that there will
always be a little turn of phrase that will make me look at my own
ability to create in a new way.

In these days of commerce grinding, marketing flatulence, and the
sheer bovine mass of the net, it's harder to find 'home'. I'm glad I
had the 'parents' I had and the home I've found here.

Thanks!

--

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.

Frank Marion                      Framar Studios
frank at framarstudios.com           http://www.framarstudios.com