[thelist] Professional Philosopy

Gina K. Anderson gina at sitediva.com
Thu Aug 30 11:02:17 CDT 2001

|Why do you do what you do? What's important about that?
|What are the values that you reach for? How do you
|measure whether you've fulfilled them or not?
|Who are mentors or peers for whom you have a great
|respect, and why?

Whoa, interesting questions. I'll bite. First a bit o'
background or some of this won't make sense--

	I got into web design purely as a 'fluke'--kinda. I used to
be a
	hairdresser (grin), and I got an illness that screwed up my
sense
	of balance. What used to be up was down all of a sudden. I
had to
	quit my former job immediately--obviously, sharp
instruments in
	the hands of a dizzy hairdresser is the stuff of nightmares
for
	most people, so I left far before unintended Mohawks became
the
	signature haircut for all my clients.

	After about a year of sitting (lying) down, I started
getting
	*really* bored in a scary sort of way. Obviously I had to
find
	something to do or I was going to go nuts--so I thought
making
	a web page might be fun--voila, a new found career. :) From
	quitting my former job to today is a period of 5 years.
	It's been a long durn haul--

So 'why' I do web design falls into lots of things. Mostly,
it keeps me sane, because though I am much better today and
able to hit deadlines no problem, I still can't drive
safely--so if it weren't for web design I would be a stay ay
home wife in a straight jacket ;-) It means more than money,
though it helps *alot*. I have a perfect fit for my born
artistic tendencies, love of the net and technology, and
being forced to work from home. Quitting my former job was a
blessing in disguise, because I *love* web design, and if I
got 100% better tomorrow, I'd still do it.

What's important about why I do it is what I've accomplished
and made out of, pretty much, a disaster. The values/goals I
reach for is to become exceptional at what I do, honesty and
integrity in myself and my work, and professionalism. I
measure if I fulfilled them by what other professionals say,
because that's usually the most truthful gauge you're gonna
get.

Mentors or peers I have great respect for--Eric Engelmann,
Andrea Belk, and Samantha McGuin from Geonetric
Technologies. Unknowingly, they gave me *way* more than a
huge opportunity to do a great deal of subcontracting work,
they gave teaching, support, and friendship. Just great
people all around to work with, who know their stuff and do
outstanding work. I've learned alot from them, and they made
an impact on my life in general, not only in the web design
biz but personally as well.

Geez, what a blow hard. That's it, before I bore someone to
death out there.
Gina

Gina Anderson
gina at sitediva.com