[thelist] Seeking web based user management for ftp

Martin martin at members.evolt.org
Fri Aug 31 12:45:19 CDT 2001

Minh Tran wrote on 1/8/01 6:13 am

>does anyone know where i can get paid industrial training???
>i've looked everywhere and all people want is experience

It's the 'paid' bit that I think is holding you up.

Traditionally in craft industries like this one, you got
into it through one of 3 means:

1) Working at something vaguely related and there's
    no-one else to do the work, so you teach yourself.
    By the time you're ready to do it fulltime, you have
    lots of experience in a commercial environment

2) You start as a freelance (which is pretty good
    for *ahem* enhancing what you do on a daily basis),
    with no paid work, and do stuff for free until you
    have a portfolio good enough to convince paying
    clients that you're worth a go

3) Variation on 1 - you've got enough client contacts
    and skills and bullshit and image (=money) to convince
    a client that it wouldn't be a problem for you.

In each case, you start off with not officially being paid
to learn, and gaining experience through your early work.

It sounds like you're in case (2) (which is where I started
some years back). Do work for free to get the experience.
Do your own site - it still counts. Do sites for local charities.

Oh, and talk about work under NDA which you can only hint
about... (technically known as 'lying' but it gets you through
in extremis, as long as you *can* do the work)

Cheers
Martin

email: martin at easyweb.co.uk             PGP ID: 0xA835CCCB
       martin at members.evolt.org      snailmail: 30 Shandon Place
  tel: +44 (0)774 063 9985                      Edinburgh,
  url: http://www.easyweb.co.uk                 Scotland