[thelist] SSI: tip & question

Joe Crawford joe at artlung.com
Wed Sep 5 08:52:58 CDT 2001

on 9/5/2001 2:39 AM, Mike DeHart at mike at dehart.net wrote:

> My question... I'd like to add an SSI call or use cgi in my 404 page. I
> believe some server implementations will support it. I'd like the 404 to
> resolve to a specified page in the current directory:
>
> if ( exists [path_to_current_directory] [current_directory_name] /
> [current_directory_name] .html )
> { 404 redirect = [path_to_current_directory] [current_directory_name] /
> [current_directory_name] .html }
> else { show standard 404 message }
>
> Is this too much to achieve with SSI's var set & control structure?

Seems like a simpler way to do this would be to put special 404 pages and
special .htaccess files in the individual folders. This assumes usage of
Apache and availability of .htaccess.

Make sense?

    Joe
--
...........  Joe Crawford : thinking and design about the web
.... enigmatic narcissism and miscellany : http://artlung.com