[thelist] Netscape 4.7 table drawing

Sam-I-Am sam at sam-i-am.com
Wed Sep 5 10:13:15 CDT 2001

not to flog a dead horse, but the page uses way too many tables. You
don't need to change the layout to improve the load time, by judicious
trimming of table code.
Take a look at:
http://www.sam-i-am.com/temp/evitbe.se.test.kal_test.gif

which is a screen shot of the page with table borders color coded to
showing nesting.
Wow. Black is the top table, then blue, green, egg yellow, orange,  red.
Count them- 5 deep. But look again at the screen shot: in the main
center panel, the blue and green tables don't actually do anything
useful that couldn't be done by the tables inside them.

(this is output from a bookmarklet btw which inserts a linked stylesheet
node to apply the following:
http://sam-i-am.com/misc/css/tableborders.css )

I sympathise fully here by the way, I've just had to code a similar
calendar page, and there isn't any way around the need for lots of table
code.. but there are steps you can take to minimise the damage.

hth
Sam