[thelist] Oracle learning curve?

Daniel J. Cody djc at starkmedia.com
Wed Sep 5 16:06:51 CDT 2001

Frank -

I've worked with DB2, MySQL, Oracle, and a bit of Postgresql now and I
don't see any huge learning curves in learning Oracle..

If you're talking Oracle syntax that is.. :)

Its got its share of built in functions(most of which *rock*) and that
sort of stuff, but like you mention, there are bound to be some differences.

If you're talking about admin'ing an Oracle server, thats a whole
different ballgame. Oracle has more tuning parameters than any other DB
i've ever worked with, and sometimes there a bit much to deal with.
OTOH, this is what makes Oracle the DB of choice for large org's and
enterprises. :)

Shout if you have more specific questions :)

.djc.