[thelist] SQL Server: Can I Import an Access DB via HTTP?

cantone (RR) cantone at austin.rr.com
Wed Sep 5 18:33:50 CDT 2001

You should be able to do so via
1) ODBC
2) named pipes
3) TCP/IP

There is (used to be, anyway) an Access "Upsizing Wizard" that would create
a SQL Server db from an .mdb ... As long as you don't have too many
Access-specific SQL queries/statements (from recollection)

Otherwise, you will have to write some SQL CREATE TABLE scripts and import
the data. BCP (BulkCopy) is a command line interface that uses either
netbeui or TCP/IP to connect to the SQL Server db.

Far and away the easiest is ODBC -- some overhead; but if you're looking for
ease of use, it's probably it. It's located in the Windows Control Panel.
You specify the DSN, db, privs, etc. and then link your Access tables to the
MS SQL Server and copy away.

-- Carl