[thelist] advice on acquiring a web property

Steve Cook steve.cook at evitbe.com
Thu Sep 6 02:27:40 CDT 2001

Interesting that your judgement of the domain is being affected in a
negative way by someone having had a site on the domain. I've read some
advice guides for reselling of domains before and almost all state that it's
best to have something on the domain, even if it's very very basic, in order
to be able to show that the site gets traffic. Personally, I've never domain
squatted, but I always did think that putting up something shoddy could
affect the value of the domain negatively.

However, in this case, I would consider what your goals are for the site. If
you think that the domain itself can be a major source of traffic to your
site, then there's probably not too much damage done. The vast majority of
internet users don't remember which domains they have visited before based
on the name of the domain - it's the content that people remember.
Personally, I would be more worried about the fact that in this country
.co.xxx domains aren't in common use. Will this domain really help drive
business to your site, or will it just confuse people?

Gah! I'm not at all sure this is helpful, but it's early in the morning ;-)
Good luck anyway.

.steve