[thelist] Book: Principles of Programming

Kai Pahl kai at kaipahl.de
Thu Sep 6 11:40:55 CDT 2001

> Can anyone recommend a good book that will explain the theoretical
> basics of programming in a language/environment neutral way? There
> are so many principles that can be taken to the Nth degree, from
> simple recursion to lazy algorithms, that a university educated
> comp-sci person would know, but a self-taught person might not think
> to look up.

i enjoyed bertrand meyers "object-oriented software construction"/prentice
hall - ISBN 0136291554, 70US$. sort of bible for, you guessed it,
object-oriented software construction.

somewhat abstract, but applicable to tons of languages. very detailed with
many stuff that you won't need. but helped me much to understand the
principles and i used it later for projects in macromedia director. but be
aware: it has "just" 1296pages.

--
. Kai Pahl, Hamburg, Germany