[thelist] custom directory index, aliases

Sam-I-Am sam at sam-i-am.com
Fri Sep 7 12:25:28 CDT 2001

I'm playing around, writing a custom directory index (in perl). In my
httpd.conf I call it thus:

DirectoryIndex index.html index.htm /cgi-bin/dirindex.cgi

So if I request http://localhost/somedir/
dirindex.cgi responds, hopefully with a useful, customized file listing
of my design.

But does anyone know how I'd deal with Aliases? By looking at the usual
environment variables I can concatenate the document root and the
request uri, but in the case of aliased directories, this doesn't give
me the correct path to the requested directory.
Is there another way? Has anyone done anyting similar?

(is there any way to build on apaches own directory index handler? I
don't really want to rewrite the sorting and basic listing bits, I'm
just looking to add a little more info to the listing, like titles if
its an html page etc..)

thanks
sam