[thelist] getting started with flash

A. Erickson amanda at gawow.com
Tue Sep 11 14:22:00 CDT 2001

> >All-
> >
> >Is it possible to use Flash effectively without buying the
> $400 product
> >from Macromedia?  I'd like to look into learning it, without
> shelling
> >out the cash right away.
> >
> >Thanks,
> >Matt

I think it depends on what your other expertise is. I have been teaching
intro to Flash at my local art college for the past year and the
learning curve initially is quite steep. If you have experience already
with Director or other animation programs then it might not be so
difficult. The interface to the program is quite dense and the concepts
can be difficult to grasp initially.

Give it a shot, though. I think you never know until you try. However,
before you get the trial version... Line up some tutorials to try and
maybe buy a book that contains tutorials. I can recommend "Teach
Yourself Flash 5 in 24 Hours" by Philip Kerman. Of course, it will take
much longer than 24 hours. :)

- amanda