[thelist] page crashing NN4

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 12 13:25:57 CDT 2001

> From: "Eric Engelmann" <eric at geonetric.com>
>
> Dunno exactly why, but deleting the line:
>
> TD.content {
>  PADDING-LEFT: 10px; FONT-SIZE: 12px; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana, Arial,
>  Geneva,
> Helvetica, sans-serif
> }
>
> Fixes the prob on my machine. Is 'content' reserved?
>
>  http://www.roswellpark.org/document_187.html

content isn't reserved, but here's the solution i've got (and i thank
you for pointing me in the right direction)... i haven't yet posted the
fix to the site, so that page will still hose NN4.x at the above URL...

since all other pages display fine on the site, it had to be
something specific to the content on that page, and since when
there was no linked CSS file, it worked fine, it had to be some sort
of interaction between the two...

it seems the following combination of code caused the page to
affect NN4.x adversely:

td.content	{	font-family : Verdana, Arial,
Geneva, Helvetica, sans-serif ;
			font-size : 12px ;
			padding-left : 10px ; }

specifically the attribute 'padding-left : 10px
;' coupled with the use of the <blockquote> tag
within the copy appeared to be the stumbling
block... this means neither of them on their own
could do it, only the combination of the two...

possible solutions:

- remove the ability to add <blockquote> through
the tool we've provided the client

- remand the padding attributes to a CSS file
called by the @import method, making it
inaccessible to NN4.x

i'll probably go with the @import approach...

thanks for your help, all...