[thelist] ASP/SQL Question

J. Blanchard jay.blanchard at thermon.com
Wed Sep 12 15:00:30 CDT 2001

Since ASP processes on the server prior to sending information to the customer how does that effect download time to the customer, especially over slow connections?

I need to create a page that will place separate lists of products according to related catgories on a page, for instance;

Product Type {Shirts}
   Large Shirts (link to...)
   Small Shirts (link to...)
   Green Shirts (link to...)
   Blue Shirts (link to...)
Product Type {Ties}
   Long Ties (link to...)
   Short Ties (link to...)
   Red Ties (link to...)
   Gnu Ties (link to...)
Product Type {And So On}

Each Product Type requires a seperate query, plus some ASP code. Having started down this path, but needing 72 Product Type categories, I can see that the code can cause the original ASP file to be about 140 - 150 kb, most of which processes server side before it is sent. We have somewhat of a bug-a-boo around here about quick loading pages (those that saw the site when it was rolled out noted the quick loading times over slow connections). So, does a 140kb ASP page effect perceptions (real or imagined) by visitors to the speed of the page load?

Secondly, would there be some strange, obscure, or just overlooked (on my part) SQL trick which would reduce the queries needed?

Thanks!

Jay Blanchard
Web Development Manager
Thermon Manufacturing Company
1.800.820.HEAT x327
Visit http://www.visto.com.
Find out  how companies are linking mobile users to the
enterprise with Visto.