[thelist] Site critique and CSS help

Andrew Chadwick andrew.chadwick at prnewswire.co.uk
Thu Sep 13 11:03:23 CDT 2001

On Thu, Sep 13, 2001 at 05:46:25PM +0200, Hershel Robinson wrote:
> 1 Why do the colors I define in my stylesheet come out correctly in IE but
> not correctly in NS?  I use NS 4.61 for testing and '#FFFFFF' comes out sort
> of chartreuese (I think that's the word for this blue-green).  You will see
> that the links are defined as that color.  On IE of course they come out
> white!  Other colors also come out strange on NS.

The CSS2 spec doesn't mention that hex colour values can be quoted,
but presumably IE is being tolerant about its input. Specify them
without the quotes, and all should be well in both UAs.

> 2 How can I make two noticeably different fonts for two types of text?  If
> you will look at the Arizal archive section, all of the top few essays have
> a mix of the text of the Arizal and the commentary.  I used:
>           font-size: larger;
> for the text, and also a different font-face and different color and it
> looks nice on IE.  On NS, however, it looks terrible.  The text is HUGE.

Possibly setting the base size to something explicit, such as 12pt,
(or better still 1.0em), and then setting your .aritext to a relative
size such as 120% might be what you want.

However ISTR that under NS4/Unix, font-size:1.0em is rather larger
than the user's default typeface for reasons best known the the people
at Mountain View... *shrug*. I hope that's a Unix/X-specific thing.

> Also one tester (one of the Rabbis of this site!) says that on his IE
> 5.00.2919.6307IC he doesn't see different colors.

I'm afraid I can't help very much with IE; however it's just possible
that your tester has "Use my chosen colours, ignoring the colours
specified" (or its IE equivalent) set in his browser prefs.

Which version of IE are you using to develop the site?

--
Andrew Chadwick, UNIX/Internet Programmer, PR Newswire Europe, Oxford