[thelist] Design/JS question

Scot scot at vquill.com
Mon Sep 17 18:53:52 CDT 2001

The URL is question is
http://www.eden.infohwy.com/~scot/japanese/index.html (and its
associated pages).
There has been a critique done on this URL by some of you fine folks
in the past.  Now, I'm trying to flush out the problems that were
found, and I can't seem to get past 2 of them.

First let me say that the front pages for each section are using the
same template (the new one), but the subsections are using the
previous template. That will all change once I get these problems
fixed/dismissed.

Problem one: When a scroll bar is present, it shifts the contents of
the page ever so slightly to the left (due to the centering of the
contents).  I realize this is a minor point, so I was hoping that
someone might be willing to either tell me how to fix it, or tell me
to get over it.

Problem two:  It was suggested that the navigational links at the top
and bottom of the page have a mouseover effect.  I liked the idea
very much.  Here comes the problem, and I'm sure many of you have had
the same or similar problems, how do I get it to work in Netscape 4
and IE5.x+/NS6.x/Mozilla.  The latter group is easy enough, but
including Netscape 4 is where I run into problems.

I've tried using the position:absolute solution, but the links can't
all be on the same line if I do that. I've had some success with the
use of CSS on IE and NS6.x/Mozilla, but that leaves out NS4.x.  Do I
abandon them and go with the simple solution or find some way of
using layers inside of span tags to get it to work?  I don't mind
putting a little effort into this site if the end result is more
usable/presentable (plus, phase 2 is set for release upon completion
of phase 1).

Thanks,
Scot

P.S.  I'll send a tip as soon I can.