[thelist] web development for Solaris

Andrew Forsberg andrew at thepander.co.nz
Tue Sep 18 02:00:31 CDT 2001

Just wanted to add a few extra points:

1. If you can't get your hands on a Sparc workstation, then check the
hardware compatibility list for Solaris on Intel, and download the
('free') binaries, from:
http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/binaries/get.html
For a basic workstation install you only need the first real
installer cd ('Software 1 of 2' -- approx. 300MB). If you have an old
PII around somewhere, with fairly standard hardware, then you're
probably in luck.

2. 16 bit colour is not well supported. You can't use it with Sun's X
server. You can run 16 bit with XFree86's drivers, and XIG's drivers,
but some apps just won't run in 16 bit (e.g. Forte for Java 3). So,
IMO, testing for colour in 8 bit and 24 bit configurations is
probably sufficient.

3.  IE for Sun is only available for the Sparc architecture, so you
will need to get a Sparc station to test IE. At a guess I'd say it
would have the smallest install base of any browser in existence.
Honestly, how many Sun Sparc users would go out of their way to
install a MS browser? Especially since it's *really* hard to even
find the installers on microsoft.com.

4. There is a companion software CD for Solaris that includes the
kde, gnome, and afterstep desktops. If you want to test with
konqueror, then downloading this CD would be the least path of
resistance (ie, it'll work, and there are shell scripts installed in
/opt/sfw/kde/  that will add the desktop to the login session drop
down menu for you).

HTH
Andrew

--