[thelist] failure notice (& CF TIP)

John Best john.best at simplytrading.com
Wed Sep 19 10:17:53 CDT 2001

As a little note..removing root.exe is possibly not sufficient.

As root.exe allows people access to your system you will also need to
have a good poke around and ensure that nothing has been added/changed.
(in an ideal world you would rebuild from safe backups, apply patches
and then reconnect)

Things hackers may do include
1.) Add additional backdoors/trojans.
2.) set registry keys to run code when the computer boots-starting a
rogue service or something.
3.) add users/ elevate users privalages.

I have no idea how one goes around convining yourself that it's all
safe.

Sorry to be such a dampner, but a false sense of security is very
dangerous.

John Best

ps....I read a book and it scared me.