[thelist] failure notice (& CF TIP)

Bill Haenel bill at webmarketingworx.com
Wed Sep 19 13:10:37 CDT 2001

> 1	Find something running as a service which oughtn't
> 	to be there (CTRL-ALT-DEL:task manager:processes).
> 	Kill it and delete it, look for refs to it in the
> 	registry and delete them.  If you have no idea what
> 	I'm talking about then mail me a list of processes.

Didn't try this - good thinking.

> or (less likely)
>
> 2	I'm hearing something about SYSTEM.INI resetting
> 	the Windows shell to 'explorer.exe' and appending
> 	some autorun shit to it.  Worth checking just in case.

Tried this  - wasn't it.

> or (much less likely)
>
> 3	Make sure you've got the permission required to nuke
> 	the file.  If you're not logged in as Administrator
> 	it might not work.

Definitely not this, unless someone has changed perms on me, which is next
to impossible.

Thanks so much to everyone who's offered assistance. I'll try this and some
other info I've found, and then I'll let the group know if I find anything
out that hasn't already appeared here.

You guys are so great.

BH