[thelist] Search engines + Clients = hell

R.Livsey R.Livsey at cache-22.co.uk
Mon Sep 24 10:31:24 CDT 2001

Just got a website in my lap that has been done by someone and the
client wants it higher in the search engines.
Ive been asked to increase its potentil (which I have done to the best
of my ability - Im a programmer full stop!) and then make a report on
why it isnt performing well.

For a start the client has been doing searches on one word phrases, the
copy in the site doesnt mention the phrases enogh and there isnt enough
copy to really work with.

Ive tried explaining this to the boss :o) to no avail.

Does anyone have a boilerplate document of somesort, or who is better at
articulating this kind of thing (Im no English major!) and could explain
the reasons that sites dont do well under these conditions.

Oh and the site uses frames (badly) and numerous other things that will
stop it functioning well!

Cheers.
Words cannot describe how much I hate web positioning. Gimme a huge
database project or a CMS system to build, please!!!

Richard Livsey
--------------
Lead Programmer
The Tickle Group