[thelist] Search engines + Clients = hell

Morbus Iff morbus at disobey.com
Mon Sep 24 10:56:02 CDT 2001

>Ive been asked to increase its potentil (which I have done to the best
>of my ability - Im a programmer full stop!) and then make a report on
>why it isnt performing well.

First off, the very first thing I say is:

 - all search engines rate sites differently. there's a good chance
   I can get you higher in one search engine, and another search
   engine would lower your standing. there is no way you will be
   perfect in every search engine. because I don't control the
   search engines, I can't guarentee you anything.

Then, I say:

 - I want you to write up 15 or 20 keywords that you want people
   to find you by. I won't do this for you, because, quite frankly,
   you know your business far better than I do.

 - I'd like to change the <TITLE>'s of all your pages. Do you mind?

 - Often times, the way a site is designed is conducive to search
   engine indexing. If your site is pretty graphical, then there's
   a good chance that to get higher in the search engine would
   mean getting rid of some of your graphics. In other words,
   how MUCH do you really want to be higher? Are you willing to
   let me rip apart of your "perfect to the eye" site to make
   it "perfect for a robot"?

I stress:

 - Good search engine positioning starts when the site is first
   designed. It's not an add-on or a feature, it's a mentality.
   You have to think about it as part of your initial user interface
   experience, because ultimately, the robot is a user of your site.

I do this all the time.

--
Morbus Iff ( i am your scary godmother )
http://www.disobey.com/ && http://www.gamegrene.com/