[thelist] testing/learning SQL and ASP environment

Tyme nopun at bellsouth.net
Tue Sep 25 09:50:04 CDT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: Rob Oviatt <n6appweb at nb.aibn.com>
To: <thelist at lists.evolt.org>
Sent: Tuesday, September 25, 2001 9:16 AM
Subject: [thelist] testing/learning SQL and ASP environment

> I've got to learn SQL and ASP for work, and am wondering what is the best
> way to set myself up to do so.  I've got our web server (NT4, IIS 4 w/sp6,
> MS SQL 7.0), and a Win98 system on my desk at work, and a Win 98 system at
> home.  I'd like to be able to work on this from both home and work, but
> don't want to risk (through my inexperience) damaging or breaking the SQL
> interactions already occurring on our server.  Which were created and
> maintained by an outside service.
>
> Questions:
>
> 1. Is there a package or group of programs I can install at home on my
> Win98 system to learn/develop/test SQL databases and ASP pages without
> having to access our web server?

TYME} You already have all that you need from re: the server.  Use Personal
Web Server (PWS), which comes with Windows98.  Visit the Microsoft site for
instructions about setting it up.

> 2. Anyone have some beginner links for running/working with an SQL server.
> I have not previous experience with web database interaction and have a
> basic understanding with Javascript.

TYME} I have found this one handy: http://w3.one.net/~jhoffman/sqltut.htm
I'm sure that there are others.  However, for many ASP applications, you
need to know very little SQL Server -- basically just how to create a table.
I started using it in ASP applications without reading one thing about it.
The most important thing to know applies to whatever db program you use --
designing a smart database (smart structure).  To start, don't worry about
learning more than creating a table in SQL.  Then, you can graduate to
stored procedures, etc.

> 3. Recommendations on Beginner book?

TYME} I vowed to never buy a "...For Dummies" book because I felt the title
was insulting to people.  So, I bought the Wrox "Professional Active Server
Pages 3.0", as it was highly recommended.  It was just too overwhelming.
So, I bought "Active Server Pages For Dummies" as well. Gives you such a
comfortable foundation for learning; I highly recommend it.   Is a quick
read and from there you can go to the Wrox books and many ASP websites and
study sample code without (with less) intimidation.

> There are probably more things I should be asking, but don't know to ask
yet.

TYME} Great discussion lists; sign up here:
http://www.aspfriends.com/aspfriends/  A number (probably 100 or so) of
general and _very_ specific ASP discussion lists.  Examples:

        [aspfreeforall] ANY questions
        [aspnotnewbie] NO beginners
        [aspadvanced] ONLY toughest questions
        [aspinstall] Installing,Upgrading PWS & ASP

        [aspmsAccess] MS-Access
        [aspAcc2SQL] Access to SQLserver conversion
        [aspMSAccessGurus] Access Tough questions
        [aspAdvanced] Tough Questions Only!

        [aspDebug] Debug code only. No how-to!

        [aspSQLHowTo] Joins, complex queries, shaping

        [aspClient] client issues: Frames, DHTML, MS-Agent
        [aspcfconvert] ColdFusion conversion to ASP

They get way more specific, such as:

        [aspShoppingcart] Shopping Carts
        [aspAutomotive] Vertical: Automotive