[thelist] Specifications

Garrett Coakley garrett at polytechnic.co.uk
Tue Sep 25 11:38:46 CDT 2001

On Tue, 25 Sep 2001 16:11:48 +0100, "Chris Garrett" <chris at chrisg.com>
wrote:

> I have been having a (rather heated) debate with some friends about
wether
> specifications are necessary before you even think to begin
programming.

> It seems split 50-50 between "waste of time" (arguiing its only
something
> done in uni) and "got to be done" (my argument).

Ummm, if your friends don't use a spec of any kind, how do they know
when
they've fulfilled the clients needs?

Not to mention budgeting, timeframes, feature creep (hey Morbus) etc.

Of course, I've never written a spec for anything I've built for
personal use, so whadda I know *:)

G "got kicked out after one year at uni".