[thelist] Specifications

Garrett Coakley garrett at polytechnic.co.uk
Tue Sep 25 16:45:58 CDT 2001

On Tue, 25 Sep 2001 13:37:13 -0400, "rudy" <r937 at interlog.com> wrote:

> let me speak from the developer's point of view

Hey!..... What am I?...... swiss cheese? *;)

> (i'm sure martin will be along shortly to refer you to a
> couple of articles from the project manager's point of view)

Phffft... what does he know. The man can't even hold his Guinness!

> it is also naïve to expect client requirements to stay as frozen
> as the specs were a few months ago when the project started
>
> the best approach?
>
> loose specs and involved clients, and lots of interaction with them

+1

Oh definately. I think part of the reason I love what I do is that there
is that warm fuzzy glow from being able to show a client what is
possible.

As their understanding grows, so their ambition and vision start
to grow. And your spec starts to evolve.

And because I like the warm fuzzy feeling, I keep telling them too much.

(you see where my problems lie.. I'm a fuzzys junkie)

> oh, and project managers that will back you up and translate for
> you when you need to tell the client "this is not possible, and anyway
> it's stupid"

+1

I'm lucky enough to work with a guy who has the PM side down to an art.
I couldn't have done half the projects I've done without his help, to
the point where couldn't think of working with anyone else.

As as a developer I sometimes find it difficult to get across an idea,
or a principle to a client. They don't speak my language, and I don't
really speak theirs.

But I can explain the idea to Gav, he can talk the business shiznit to
the client, and as an added bonus, translate the stuff coming back from
their end.

A good project manager can help you achieve that balance between loose
spec/satisfied client.

A bad project manager will probably write specs until your eyes fall
out and your dog goes bald.

G.