[thelist] search engine algorithm for query string

Joshua Olson joshua at alphashop.net
Wed Sep 26 07:58:40 CDT 2001

----- Original Message -----
Subject: Re: [thelist] search engine algorithm for query string

: > this link looks like    foo.html?stylesheet=printer
:
: So you are using different stylesheets for different media? CSS can
already
: do that.
:
: "One of the most important features of style sheets is that they specify
how
: a document is to be presented on different media: on the screen, on paper,
: with a speech synthesizer, with a braile device, etc."
:
: http://www.w3.org/TR/1998/REC-CSS2-19980512/media

It is great that w3c has addressed this issue.  Unfortunately, this aspect
of CSS may not be supported by a majority of browsers.  Also, as a user, I
would not be likely to print something that had the possibility of gobbling
my printer ink.  Since I may not be aware of the CSS differences for screen
and printer, I may not want to print the page based on what I see on the
screen.

-joshua