[thelist] MS Access to SQL Server: METAFILE Images

James Aylard webmaster at equilon-mrc.com
Wed Sep 26 18:29:25 CDT 2001

SQL Server Gurus:

    I am working on a web-based application which requires that I import a
Microsoft Access table into SQL Server 2000. I have absolutely zero control
over the Access file, aside from any massaging I can do when I import it
into SQL Server.
    The Access table includes three columns which contain binary "picture"
elements. These are apparently some type of OLE vector objects. They
imported successfully into SQL Server (which set the field type to "image"),
but I can't figure out how to do anything with them.
    When I do a Response.BinaryWrite in ASP, I get a bunch of gibberish that
includes the word "METAFILEPICT", which appears to be a file-type
description. I have tried setting the ASP Response.ContentType value to
"image/BMP" (which results in the default IE "broken-image" icon),
"image/WMF", "METAFILEPICT", etc., etc., to no avail.
    Does anyone have a guess (preferably an educated one :) as to how I can
extract and display the content of these images from SQL Server?

James Aylard