[thelist] 100% Image Height

Olly Hodgson gnarly at punkass.com
Fri Sep 28 11:25:42 CDT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "James Aylard" <webmaster at equilon-mrc.com>
Subject: Re: [thelist] 100% Image Height

> if the image doesn't show up at all, are you sure that your src attribute
> contains a valid path? Make sure that the image shows up first, then go
> about stretching it to fill your table.

It shows up if I set a height in pixels, but not if I set it to 100%. Seems
a bit odd to me, but nothing about browsers surprse me these days :-)

>     To get the image to stretch, make sure that your table and your <td>
are
> the height you expect.

The problem is that its a liquid design, where the table can change in
height according to the width of the screen, and the table's content. I
found a workaround using nested tables.

>     Also consider using CSS for setting your table, td, and img sizes --
or
> using CSS to set your image as the background image of the table or td
with
> a background-repeat value of repeat-y.

I have done something along those lines, and it while displays fine in
Mozilla and IE, this images dont show up at all in Opera5 - I've had
problems with CSS specified background images in Opera before, but I'm not
entirely sure how I fixed it. I havemt even looked at it in NS4.x yet - I
reformatted my PC yesterday and havent go around to reinstalling it yet :-)

>     If you continue to have trouble, post a url or the relevant snippet of
> code for the list to consider.

http://www.gnarly.f2s.com/TGB_V6/ is where you can see what I'm doing. This
bit in question is a table with a background image, with another table
nested inside it. Once cell has a background image which is a trasnparent
gif - so you can see through parts of it to the image below IYSWIM.

Olly
- www.gnarly.f2s.com -