[thelist] Let's be a Photographer

Michele Foster michele at wordpro.on.ca
Wed Oct 3 11:17:01 CDT 2001

Hi Folks ..

I need to go to a client's and take some photos of her rug hookings
(http://letshookrugs.com) with my digital camera. I have a couple of
questions.  I'll take the photos at the second highest resolution (1280 x
960) available on my camera.

The camera saves the pictures in JPG mode.  The client needs to use these
pictures to import into Word (or some other such program) and will print
them out either on a laser colour printer (1200 dpi/600 dpi) or on her
dot-matrix printer (300 dpi).   I will probably need to modify some of the
photos after shooting them.  To crop them and centre them, so that they look
appropriate.  What else should I do?  Any "general" suggestions? I'll be
using Photoshop to manipulate the images.  Should I resave them in JPG
format and give that to my client to print?  Or should I save them in
another format?  I would prefer not to save them in native Photoshop format,
as I don't believe the client has any Adobe image editing programs.  Would I
be better to convert the photos to BMP?  (How?)

I will also require the photos for the web site, but I can keep a local copy
for myself.

Ideas, suggestions?

TIA,

Michele