[thelist] trying to learn about locking (was: Re: CF Session Variables)

Susan Wallace susanhw at webcastle.com
Wed Oct 3 23:38:20 CDT 2001

Hi again,

I'm sorry to keep dragging this out, but now I am at a point where I would
like to have something clarified for me, please. :)

I wrote before about the e-commerce application that had been somehow
corrupted by what I suspected was a price that had been entered as $0.00.
(the issue was that customers were having other people's personal
information show up in their forms - some were cookies, others were
sessions..) In looking into this, it was suggested that the session locks
be changed.

This is what is in the application:

<cflock name=#Session.SessionId# timeout="20"
  type="READONLY"> <cfset itemnumber =
  Session.Basket.CurrentRow> <cfset Product_ID =
  Session.Basket.Product_ID> </cflock>

And Raymond suggested changing it to this:

  change: NAME="#Session.SessionID#" to
SCOPE="Session". This is safer on a 4.5.1 box.

I do understand the difference here. :)

I am confused by the whole thing because there were too many variables
involved, and I have spent hours trying to come up with a graceful solution
for "repairing" the damage. After mulling this over (and pulling out hair)
I have a question.

IF the price of zero was in fact NOT an issue.

and IF the CF server (4.5.1) this application was running on is in fact
VERY overloaded

Is it still possible for this "session swapping" to go on even when Locks
(either the Name= OR Scope=) are in place?

I emphasize the if's here not to seem rude, but to point out that I know
there are too many variables here, and I don't have the answers for them.

Here is my scenario: If I can get a copy of the database from backup and in
effect restore the customer information from that point, and then left the
store on that same overloaded server, without having a product with a price
of zero, is it still possible that the corruption will occur because of the
overload, even with the session locking in place?

I know I restated that twice, I hope one makes more sense than the other.

I am working on moving the site to a less crowded server, replacing the
locks as Raymond suggested, and considering using Client variables instead
of session variables since this is on a shared server and I can't control
what else is put on it. This one goes down as the second biggest headache... :/

Thank you VERY much for the help!

Susan Wallace

<tip type = Working with linking pdf files in Acrobat 4>
If you are working with a file in Adobe Acrobat (tm) that will contain a
link to another Acrobat file (for example, on a CD for distribution), make
sure that all of the files in your set have been setup so that they will
open at the same default size. That way, the person viewing your files does
not need to keep increasing or decreasing the Magnification in order to be
able to read your files.

Also, for linking to pages within a file, set the link to "Inherit Zoom"
and the next page will show at the Magnification level that was already
selected.

To set your documents Default Open Magnification:
Choose File > Document Info > Open
Set the Magnification to the level that you chose when testing your file.

To set your link to Inherit the Zoom:
Choose the Link Tool.
Drag a selection around the area that you want to become a "hot spot".
In the dialogue that comes up, choose Go To View
Set the Magnification to "Inherit Zoom"

Before you arbitrarily select one of the Magnification options (Fit width,
a percentage etc) test your file on different screens/resolutions to see
what Magnification makes it easiest to read.
</tip>