[thelist] Installing older browser IE4.01 SP2

James Aylard webmaster at equilon-mrc.com
Thu Oct 4 10:39:03 CDT 2001

Simon,

> When I try to install IE4.01 SP2 (or infact any other IE$ install), it
> tries to check (the microsoft download site) to see if I have the most
> up to date files. Since there are no files on Microsoft to check any
> more as the browser is not supported, the install fails.(Network busy
> etc)

    Are you trying to install an older version of IE on a system that
already contains a newer version of IE? If so, this isn't possible. You will
have to uninstall your current version first. For all intents and purposes,
Windows will allow only one version of IE from version 3 on up.
    Also, keep in mind that most versions of Windows will not allow you to
install a version of IE that predates the release of the OS (e.g., Windows
2000 will not allow IE versions prior to 5.x -- possibly 5.01; ME won't
allow a version older than 5.5, etc.).
    Lastly, if the files are no longer available on Microsoft's servers, you
will need to have the entire installation package stored on a locally
available drive (and you can check the Evolt browser archive [1] for some of
these). If you have this, you shouldn't need to tinker with any ini files.

James Aylard

1. http://browsers.evolt.org/index.cfm/dir/ie/