[thelist] Outlook Express woes

rudy r937 at interlog.com
Fri Oct 5 19:42:49 CDT 2001

> It's better to answer your mail quickly if possible
> and then file it somewhere else IMHO.

hi mark

that could be the start of an interesting thread, if somewhat off-topic for
web development (file by subject, by correspondent, by date, etc.)

> The email folders only hold so much if I recall and if you add
> more the overflow has to go somewhere.

that might be a problem, i guess, but i haven't hit it yet

my outlook express directory, which contains "folders" (each consisting of
an mbx and idx file, for mailbox and index respectively), is over 400 megs,
and i'm using outlook express 4 (came with ie4) on win95

> Cleaning out your deleted items folder might help too.

indeed

probably the best advice, especially if you have lots of folders, is to run
the Compact All Folders option regularly

the only problem i have is that i'd like to offload a lot of stuff, which
is easy enough to do (just move the mbx/idx files out of the directory),
but then what do you read them with? bringing them back in to find some old
email is hard, 'cause they're all named folder191.mbx and so on, so you
pretty much have to have a cheat sheet -- blecch

<tip>
search engine online service
Sanity Check http://www.sitepsych.com/sanitycheck.html
shows you what the search engine spiders see on your page
</tip>

rudy
http://rudy.ca/